Thank you for your interest in WE Africa!
WE Africa’s Leadership Program is for you if you find yourself thinking…
“I have been running an organization for years, but feel that I am missing key leadership skills that would make me a more inclusive, collaborative, effective leader.”
“I feel that I have lost my sense of who I am and what I believe in. I’m tired and I don’t know how to get my energy back.”
“I am so isolated in my environmental work and wish I could find a community to support me.”
“I love my organization but it may be time for me to move on to other work. How do I ensure my organization will outlast me?”
“We could get so much further if we could just trust each other and share ideas and resources. Where can I find leaders like me who want to help each other?”
“How do I help keep myself and my team healthy and happy in such an intense, high-stress field?”
“I have a vision that the future leaders of my organization will be mostly African and half of them will be women. How do I make that happen?”
Please view the following short message from our current 2021 Fellows:
What the WE Africa Leadership Program offers:
- Membership in a community of passionate, experienced African women who are some of the most senior leaders in the environmental sector today
- Access to twelve months of 1:1 leadership coaching
- An opportunity to create a new leadership vision for yourself and to pursue personalized leadership development activities to realize that vision
- Monthly online sessions designed to fit around and complement your work
- Two in-person retreats for intensive community-building and personal and collective growth
The WE Africa year long transformative leadership journey is for women who meet the following criteria:
- African nationals, current citizens of a country in Africa, or those who have had permanent residency in Africa for a minimum of 15 years
- A minimum of 15 years of experience working in the environmental space in government, NGO, or private sector in Africa including at least 5 years serving in a senior leadership role*
- A commitment to investing in your personal growth and participation for the full 12-month program
- A record of mentorship and desire to support future environmental leaders
- Access to reliable internet
- Able to speak and understand English conversationally
- A commitment to: 1) contribute USD $500 toward the cost of the course to secure your place; and 2) cover your travel costs to two in-person retreats for an estimated $1,500. Together your contribution represents approximately 15% of the course value.
*If you do not meet the requirements from the second point above, you may provide an explanation in the application about why you believe you are eligible.
Please note the timeline for this year’s application review process:
15 July – Application Open
15 August – Deadline for Application Submissions
13 September – Final Round Top 30 Candidates Notified for Interviews
Late September/Early October – Final Round Interviews Conducted
15 November – Public announcement of 2022 Fellows
Please note: The deadline for applications is Sunday, 15 August by midnight East Africa Time. If you have questions about this application, please contact us at: [email protected].
Otherwise please complete the Application Form below.
Important: This Application Form contains a short series of questions including both written and video responses:
- Written Response questions have a response limit of 1,000 characters including spaces. To avoid connection issues with the website and losing your responses, you might draft your responses into a word processing file and then copy them into this form when complete.
- Video Response questions will require you to record and submit a short video response. Your video responses should be no longer than 2 minutes each. Your videos do not need to be very formal or professional quality; we only need to be able to see and hear you clearly. You may use your phone camera to record your videos if desired.
- All application responses must be in English.
Our Commitment to Confidentiality: All information submitted as part of this application process will be reviewed confidentially by a diverse review panel including current WE Africa team members and African and international advisors. Your information will be kept secure, and will not be shared outside of the review team. The 20 finalists will be selected via a rigorous review rubric based on suitability and diversity.